2005-08-31

The Hurricane

Watch out for your pocketbooks, the government is now mobilizing to spend billions of our tax dollars cleaning up after Hurricane Katrina. While I support the numerous charities, such as the Red Cross, I do not support the government spending money to clean this up. The residents of New Orleans chose to live there, on the coast, in an area that is no stranger to bad weather. We should support the people whose lives were affected, but rebuilding the area seems to be an awful waste of money. The poor of New Orleans should think very hard about moving back there. Many of them had little to begin with, relocating to a more prosperous area is probably more feasible than returning home.

We have truly become a welfare society. If something bad happens, we expect the government to bail us out, which goes against our country's core principle: independence. Where charity falls short, insurance doesn't apply, that should simply be lost, not taken from the rest of the country without their consent. I'm sure many Americans, living in a lower tax environment, would gladly donate some of the extra 30% of their income to relief efforts, which generally do a much better job at managing the funds.

Referring to government relief destined for grain farmers facing a drought, one of our greatest presidents, Grover Cleveland remarked that, "Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character...."

I couldn't agree more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. The state of Louisiana should be covering the losses and people should give money out of their own will. No one should have to be forced to pay for something not concerning them.

Anonymous said...

I completely disagree with you and Carl. It's easy for you guys to sit and complain.. but you werewnt the ones who lost everything. Put yourself in the position and you'd need that aid too.. I'm going to give some money to the Red Cross and you should too. I don't know how you can think it doesn't affect you..If you actually think that, then you are very self-absorbed. People should be trying to help all they can, this was a horrible natural disaster. these people dont deserve what they got. What they do deserve is help from people such as us and the big shot athletes and celebrities who can afford to spare a few bucks

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mike, sorry Jeff. Jeff, I don't think Mike is saying that we shouldn't help the people at all. If I'm interpreting correctly (which, I could be wrong), he's saying that the government should not rebuild New Orleans. I will agree with this.

As someone who is living in Houston, most of the families aren't going back to LA anyway. Most of them have nothing to go to. Most have decided to stay here in Houston. My father, who's a high school counselor, said that they admitted 15 families into the high school on Friday, and they expect to enroll many more tomorrow.

What concerns me about these people moving to Houston is the economic impact they have on our society. How are we to educate them, give them jobs and health benefits, and give them homes? Houston is already packed enough. Our schools can hardly handle what they have now, let alone the people that are coming. Statistics show that of those living in the Astrodome, 1/3 are babies, 1/3 are mentally ill, and a vast majority have health problems - hypercholesterlemia, diabetes, etc.

How will Houston and the state of Texas, who has also taken in evacuees in San Antonio and Dallas, handle this? We can hardly handle all the illegal immigrants from Mexico, let alone citizens from another state! The second night the evacuees were here, local news stations were warning Houstonians to not go near the Astrodome at night, don't stop at gas stations at night, etc.

I'm not saying that we should completely ignore these people. I understand that this is a disaster, and hard times have fallen upon those who had to leave everything behind. I think if the population had been different, the reaction would not be so negative. In Japan, when the earthquake hit Kobe, people organized themselves instead of waiting for the government, i.e. assigning roles (someone clears debris, someone else fetches water, etc.). LA is one of the poorest states in the USA, and the sentiment here has been that LA doesn't seem to take care of its people. But for how long do the rest of us have to pay?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Erin. Jeff, you're wrong. I don't say we shouldn't send money there. If the government helps them, they will tax us more. We can help in other ways. If MI got hit, I would expect someone to help me but not the government first. In fact, I'd do my part to help out. I give to charities and will give to help the victims. I may give blood too/instead of money. I hope you do the same and don't just say you will. I'm sure Mike will give to help Louisiana also and so will Erin.