2005-09-26

Sheehan Arrested

Cindy Sheehan, formerly a grieving mother and currently an Iraq War protester was arrested today in Washington DC along with several of her cohorts for "demonstrating without a permit." What kind of a bullshit charge is that? It seems to go against something... something that most American's forget:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

It seems to me that these people were doing just this. Peaceably assembling and petitioning the government for a redress of grievances. And they were arrested for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When former President Bush came to Austin College, my friend got some people to protest, and the secret service told them to go to the "designated protesting area." Is that not wierd or what? He was protesting for a competition - you had to protest about something on a college campus and then you'd be eligible to win $10K or something like that. I think he thought twice about though because of the secret service there, although they didn't search my purse or anything. I was surprised - I had a full box of tissues, cold medicine, 100 cough drops, etc. in my purse. It's amazing what you can fit in a big purse. :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree. She shouldn't have been arrested.