2008-03-20

Dangers of CFL's

Despite the small problem of them containing mercury, I am still a big fan of compact fluorescent light bulbs.  I think it is a no brainer to use them, as it could very well save you $20-$50 per month in electric bills.  If you don't have any installed now, try them out.  

They last each for well over a year and more than make up for their extra cost in longevity and efficiency.  I believe that the average bulb can save something like $50 over its lifetime.  

But do be careful if the bulb breaks and when it burns out do not throw it in the trash.  Click here for some tips on disposal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I like the bulbs anyway and will start using them. I didn't know there was Mercury. I usually like to break bulbs when they burn out but I guess I won't with these.

A Red Mind in a Blue State said...

Um, hey guys, nobody told me I was trading in my admittedly energy-wasting bulb for something that has more disposal instructions than a nuclear reactor.

I should have known something was up when Walmart started pushing them-- they're probably made with the toxins left over after the Chinese finish making our kids' toys.