2008-03-31

Nationals Opening Day 2008

Tonight was opening day at the new Nationals Park and the National League season opener for 2008.  What a great park!  They even gave unlimited free refills with the $7.50 beer!  The new park is everything that RFK wasn't, namely: a baseball park.  Finally we have good concessions, clean facilities, TV's all over (in some cases they aren't there yet but there's a sign saying they will be there soon).  Unfortunately you can no longer smoke wherever you want and I even got yelled at for doing so (for your reference: the designated smoking area is next to the kids playground; I'm not joking).

On to better news: the Nats defeated the declining Braves 3-2 with a walkoff homer by Zimmerman.

Just for the record: the Nats got the first win in Nationals Park, Cristian Guzman got the first hit, Chipper Jones (boo!) got the first home run, and Nick Johnson got the first RBI.

And the first pitch was thrown by none other than George W. Bush.  And I have to give him credit, he threw it from the mound and threw it well, to manager Manny Acta.  W also called the first home run from the booth (this I learned while watching the replay).

Since I took the metro in I actually missed the last 2 innings but did record it on TV so I watched it when I got home.  Hopefully this first win and stadium will help propel us to the playoffs in 2008!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I'd like to see it.