2008-04-28

Wright shows he's everything Obama's not

Starting this week, Rev. Jeremiah Wright embarked on some type of speaking tour, that included stops in Washington, Detroit, and other cities.  He repeated some of his earlier controversial comments, snuggled up with Detroit's finest mayor ever, Kwame Kilpatrick, and talked a lot about God and race.  

I think Reverend Wright is angry that Barack Obama has been able to transcend race in a world that Wright feels is still very racist.  Instead of seeing us all come together and leave race behind, as Obama's message tells us, Wright would rather his group become the aggressors and leave us hopelessly divided.

Most likely, Wright feels betrayed by Obama.  He thought that once his comments came out, Obama would defend everything he said, instead of stating that Wright is angry and fails to see all the progress that has been made in the past forty years.  He said that Wright embodied the "angry" emotions of older black generations, just as his white grandmother and immigrants my embody "resentment" toward affirmative action programs and that while both emotions are justifiable, they are not productive.

Today Obama said this about Wright's recent comments (emphasis added):
“I think certainly what the last three days indicate is that we’re not coordinating with him.  He’s obviously free to speak his mind, but I just want to emphasize he is my former pastor. Many of the statements he made both to trigger this initial controversy, and that he’s made over the last couple days are not statements that I heard him make previously. They don’t represent my views and they don’t represent what this campaign is about. But he’s obviously free to make those statements.”
I think its about time we let Reverend Wright say his crazy things and stop giving him an audience.  I hope this is the last post I have to write about this guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least now Obama has separated himself from Wright and disagrees with him. Wright is a pain in the ass and the media should stop giving him coverage. In fact, I saw a brief commercial with him in Detroit and I almost flipped. I didn't even know he was here.