2008-09-22

eBay kills the paper payment

Today eBay announced that checks and money orders will no longer be accepted for the majority of the sales on its site (automobiles are one big exception).  

How do I feel about this?  I don't really care, since I almost always use PayPal.  Many sellers now require PayPal only as well.  I have had the unfortunate experience of locating a seller of a special item and finding out they only take money orders.  So I had to schlep to the post office, get a money order, put it in an envelop, put a stamp on the envelop, mail it, and wait a few days.  

I know some are angry about PayPal's fees for sellers, but money orders and checks are a pain in the ass for both buyers and sellers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. If people can't sign up for paypal and pay/request payment through it, it's sad. Paypal is easy to use and makes the transaction smoother and your product gets shipped faster. People, don't cry about not paying with checks/money orders, accept paypal. Checks are the worst to accept because of their clearing period and it's easier to screw someone by writing a bad check.