2008-11-30

"Black" Friday no more

This past Friday is traditionally known as "black" Friday, in which retailers who have been operating at a loss (in the red) for the year have big sales and manage to get into profitable (or black) territory.  

Likely not the story this year, per current reports.  It seems that shoppers did go out but that they did not purchase very much outside of the super deals that are likely loss leaders.  

I went shopping on Friday.  I went to Macy's but did not see anything worth buying at the time, and I bought a firewire cable at Best Buy to use one-time and then return.  I went back to Macy's on Saturday and bought a bed comforter for $75, but the normal price was $200.  All in all, I did not buy much.

Maybe "cyber Monday" will be better.  That's tomorrow, when all the workers return and buy things online.  I plan on doing most of my Christmas shopping on Amazon this year, but I still wouldn't touch that stock.

Speaking of stocks, with this news, that there was no good surprise in holiday sales, I expect the market to drop on Monday.  May be a good time to pickup a few stocks.  That's been my plan for the past week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd rather order online too. You get better deals. Also, I heard there was a three percent rise from last year on holiday shopping. At least in MI, it seems there was a lot of shopping. I saw the mall was packed too.