2008-11-27

Mumbai Terrorist Attacks

Terrorists have struck Mumbai today, killing possibly 100 or more people and injuring many more. The attacks appear to target foreigners, since most of them took place at or near hotels. These attacks were coordinated and everything from hospitals to hotels to a Jewish center were attacked. One group has claimed responsibility, but nothing is confirmed right now.

I have a team that works in India, they are in Bangalore, not Mumbai, but last year our office was affected by a much smaller incident in that area.

India has become a real democracy in South Asia and I think we only need to look to their neighbors to the East and West to see where these attacks could have come from, though they may have come from within.

By targeting foreigners, the terrorist may think that they have a shot at reducing foreign influence and investment within the country, though I doubt that this will seriously hinder growth in India.

My thoughts are with the Indian people. We as Americans know all too well what happens when terrorists target a major city. I can only say that I hope that the Indian authorities react well with a properly measured response.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope they kill the terrorists. I'm sure it's Al Queda.