2008-12-01

Amazon's demand pricing

Amazon has an interest pricing scheme. I have seen glimpses of it here and there, since certain products tend to get cheaper at certain times of the year. But today I have a concrete example.

Take this item, for instance. A nice decorative bowl, that I am purchasing for a family member. I added it to my cart yesterday, noting that there were 2 left. The price was about $17.50, give or take a few cents. I added a few things to my cart last night and left it there. This evening, I opened up the cart to make final changes and purchase everything in bulk (to get free shipping). Amazon notified me that the price had fallen to $15.64 (possibly because I had kept it there for a while?). I ended up buying it, leaving 1 left in stock. Amazon promptly raised the price on the 1 remaining bowl to $32.58 where it remains now.

The likely reason for this, is that Amazon wants to make sure there is sufficient demand in order to justify purchasing more of these, which may be a somewhat obsure item.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Maybe I'll look to using them too.