2009-01-29

Bush tries to ban Roquefort

One of George W. Bush's final orders included slapping a 300% tax on Roquefort cheese.  This is a very good cheese that I sometimes enjoy and I think this tariff needs to be rescinded.  It is a blue cheese made from unpasteurized sheep's milk and a special type of mold.

For some reason, a lot of ignorant Americans (like Mr. Bush) do not like France.  I don't understand why, because I have visited the country many times and found the people to be extremely pleasant.  With Mr. Bush, it is most likely that he is angry because the French were right about not going into Iraq.  So he decides to make it harder to buy one of the products that they happen to sell.  

Now, the United States does claim that the reason they are putting this tax on the cheese is because the EU will not accept our hormone laden beef.  However, I myself try to not consume beef from cows injected with hormones so I can't blame them for it.  They are not rejecting all American products, just the ones that happen to be of questionable quality.  It would be like us banning lead toys from China, and the Chinese getting upset.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This ban should be lifted. If there's nothing wrong with the cheese, than why ban it? We shouldn't block French goods. The new French Premier is actually a good guy and wants relations with America and Israel.