2009-06-08

Palm Pre Battery Life Average Use Test for one day (Chart)


I've performed some testing of the Pre's battery, which is more or less me using it like I normally would for one day, and noting the battery charge whenever I had a chance.

Overall, I made several calls throughout the day, probably talking on the phone for about 1 hour.
I used a combination of EVDO and wi-fi browsing, but nothing too crazy and wi-fi was only for a short time. Visited all in all no more than 10-15 websites all day. Data usage for the day was at least 10 MB, if not more. Total texts sent/received was close to 30-40, with several being pictures. I downloaded 1 application.

I also played around with some of the apps, but did not play any music or video. Chat was signed off most of the day, and email was not being checked (I sit in front of a computer at work, so I don't need two notifications for each message).

GPS was off, but I don't think this does anything. I was only asked for my location once during the day, when I opened Google maps, so I think it is probably safe to keep GPS on, as long as you aren't using anything that will activate it (such as the camera for geotagging).

Onto the numbers, and these are very preliminary results.

The above chart started at 7:10am and ended at approximately 11:20pm. With my moderate/light use, the battery fell by approximately 3.1% per hour. I'd imagine for a heavy user, this would be closer to 5% per hour, which would still give you a respectable 20 hours per battery charge, definitely enough to get through the day.

The majority of the calls that I made were between the 1-5 hours and 10-15 and it is noticeable in the chart. Palm rates the battery at 5 hours talk, which would mean 20% drain per hour, or approximately 1% every 3 minutes. This seems to be on the mark.
I don't have too much experience with smart phones other than this one (pathetic, I know) but from what I've read this compares pretty well to the iPhone 3G.

No comments: