2010-09-14

Burqa Ban Moves Forward in France

France has moved forward with its burqa ban.  Today the French Senate overwhelmingly voted for the legislation, which will impose fines on women who cover their faces.  Headscarves are not covered by this ban.

This is one issue in which I myself am divided.  While I respect the freedom of a person to practice their religion, I am against the public display of religious symbols.  I don't think the ten commandments should be posted in public.  Now, you may argue that this is an individual and not a government.  I agree in that case, and that is the only reason I somewhat support someone's rights to wear a burqa.

That being said, I am more for cultural assimilation than anything else.  And the burqa is definitely not that.  Neither is someone who goes decked out in any ethnic garb.  For example. if someone wanted to wear nothing but a loin cloth on a subway, because that is their culture, they would likely be arrested.  You have to draw the line somewhere.  I am not against headscarves, but burqas go a bit too far.  Do they cross the line?  Maybe.

3 comments:

Carl said...

Burqa's cover a face and things can be hidden. Also, their face is covered and whether or not we may think this is just culture, there's people who'd think that this kind of look is suspicious and sneaky. Why would someone want to keep their face covered in public? Could they be hiding something? Are they a fugitive? Who knows.

MSC said...

But ski masks do the same thing. Then again, most people would not wear a ski-mask in public...

Carl said...

Right. If someone is not working/skiing and wearing one, it would be suspicious. I wear ski masks when I'm out shoveling snow and it's freezing. That's it.