2005-05-08

1 Left

This past week wasn't very fun, especially Thursday and Friday. Thursday was all about preparing for Friday and Friday was a group paper and two finals. I had finished my part of the group paper on Monday and I couldn't really help the guys out with it too much Thursday night. I felt bad about that, but I tried to write more than my share to compensate.

The two finals were rough, especially since I wasn't able to prepare well for either. The first was at 8:30am, Corporate Financial Reporting. I knew how to do most of the stuff but wasn't very confident. There was also a problem worth 14% of the test that I had no idea how to solve. I had meant to study the specific principle involved but somehow skipped it. I felt like a dumbass when I saw that one on the test...Later in the afternoon came Decision Analysis. The good news was that the types of problems in that final were the same concepts I spent a whole semester learning. The bad news was that these were harder than anything I had ever seen and I had no idea how to do 2 of them, though I wrote some bullshit down (there were about 8 problems total so not too bad...especially if they curve).

My Futures & Swaps final was about 9 days ago on Friday. I ended up getting a 69 on the final and a B overall in the class. CMU business classes are so great for curves!!! That final was hard, but that class had confused me all semester so I'm happy with the B.

So that only leaves Electoral Systems, an interesting niche class, on Monday at 8:30am. Unlike all the other finals, this one is cumulative so I'm going to be spending the next 24 hours (minus sleep) going over a large amount of concepts. The best takeaway concept I learned in that class is that given enough control and intelligence, it is possible to design and election system that will allow you to somewhat control the outcome. This concept especially holds true when setting an agenda, which the Speaker of the House does in Congress. I don't need a very high grade on that final for a B, but I'm hoping for an A. This class was definitely the most interesting I had all semester so I want to at least show that I mastered the concepts...

No comments: