2005-05-08

CMU IV

More about my time at CMU:

One thing I will not miss one bit are final exams. The end of all 8 semesters (which includes this one), has always been filled with dread, sleeplessness, nervousness, and after the final a feeling of being fucked.

Finals can seriously change your grade... Thankfully I think at the worst they've only dropped me by 1 letter grade but that has happened several times. The other bad thing about them is that they all take place over a period of two weeks (max) and sometimes you'll have 2 of them in one day. Studying in advance isn't always an option with final projects and other things due the week before. Trying to learn an entire semester's worth of information in 48 hours is an acquired skill, but a necessary one to get by in school. And you have to do that over and over again until the last final is done and you sleep for 12 hours straight. My worst experience ever was a year ago when I woke up 10 minutes after a final had started and had to rush to school nervous as hell. Thankfully it was an easy class and I ended up getting an A, but at the time it was just awful. So, after this last one I can say GOOD BYE FINALS for good!

I should qualify the above by stating that I'm a pretty good test taker, always have been (whether it involves the strategy of multiple choice or the bullshitting of free response), and I don't really dislike tests, I just hate the whole finals experience.

No comments: