2008-03-02

Consumer Reports Misses the Mark

Consumer Reports has ranked my truck, the FJ Cruiser, as the sixth worst car this year.  I want to address their summary as well as tell you why Consumer Reports is bullshit.  I am not just writing this entry because they dissed my car, I am very skeptical of their rating methodologies.  

Consumer Reports used to report mainly on quality/reliability.  Interestingly enough, they say that reliability does not factor into their ratings.  Say what?  So if a car is a complete piece of shit, they may still rate the car highly.  Is that helpful to consumers?  

I also noted two glaring issues with their rating of the FJ.  The first is that they claim it requires premium fuel.  This is not true: Toyota recommends premium fuel for optimal performance but says that anything 87 octane or above is fine.  Secondly they say that access is limited.  What we are talking about is a compact SUV that is good enough to have 2 suicide doors.  It works well to have an extra person or two in the back, and an adult will fit comfortably back there, but its not a minivan nor is it intended to be.

I noticed that most of the "worst cars" are SUVs, as well as one of the most popular cars around, the Toyota Yaris.  Maybe Consumer Reports has just lost its relevance.

Also, if you want the most up to date quality ratings, I recommend you visit True Delta: www.truedelta.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read that report and the Yaris and their statements of each were stupid. They wouldn't mention why the cars are popular for supposedly being shitty. I'd still buy Toyota, I can care les what they say. They maybe anti-foreign car?

Richard said...

I own a 2008 FJ Cruiser and compared to most SUV's out there, I can honestly say it drives way better and performs excellent both on and off-road. Unfortuntely, I the consumer report did mention they did not factor in the off-road/4x4 capabilities as part of their review. The FJ cruiser have good reliability record and most owners would agree and attest to it. Regardsless, tons of reviews proved the FJ as a well rounded vehicle. It is a very functional, useful, and vey capable outdoor vehicle. ---by juz8up---

Anonymous said...

im shocked to hear they ranked a toyota so low