2009-01-14

The Palm Pre: My Thoughts

In my last post, I discussed Google's phone operating system, Android.

A very well-informed reader brought a few things to the table about Palm's new phone, the Pre, that will be released sometime in June.  This phone was just announced at CES, about 10 days ago.

I have performed more research and must say, I am quite impressed.  This phone may have a better OS than either Google or Apple and is something I seriously consider.

What I like:
1. Synergy: this supposedly will take all of your contacts from IM applications, Facebook, LinkedIn, Gmail, etc. and aggregate them.  This is a great feature.
2. It has a keyboard, which some Android phones will have, some won't.  The iPhone does not have one.
3. Good calendar synch with Google calendar.
4. Multitouch.  
5. GPS - so far the Android phones do not have it.  Apple does not give turn by turn directions.

What I don't like:
1. It seems the apps developed for it may be weak.
2. No GSM support for worldwide use, at least when using Sprint.  I know, I know, Sprint and Verizon are CDMA.  However; the Blackberry Storm on Verizon's network has a built in SIM so it can be used abroad.  

All in all, I'm glad I made the last post, for I had not heard of this phone yet due its relatively new announcement and the fact that I've been working a lot lately.  I am actually leaning towards the Palm Pre now.

Thanks for the tip Josh.  By the way, do you happen to work for Palm?  Just wondering.  :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting phone.