2009-06-06

Palm Pre Buying Experience

I'll be updating this throughout the day...

Yesterday I did some reconnaissance, going to the Best Buy and Sprint Store in Manassas, VA.  No lines at that time.  

Woke up today at 5:30.  Decided against Best Buy, because their stock is limited (~12 units per store) and they do not open until 10am.  The only downside is that instead of an instant rebate of $200 for the 2 phones, it would be mail-in.

Drove to the Sprint Store in Chantilly, VA.  Arrived at 6:30.  There were already 4 people in line.  The Sprint rep was there and bought a jug of coffee for everyone.  We waited for a while and more people showed up.  By 7:30 there were 18 people in line.  At that time we were each given a number.  I got 5 and 6.  

They asked who was porting from another carrier, we were the only 2 that I heard.  At this time we could also get a Touchstone charger and leather case.  I only opted for the case; they did sell out of Touchstones, so they had less of those than Pres.

We were served immediately in the Sprint store.  Total came up to $675 - $200 mail in rebate.  This includes tax, activation, etc for the 2 phones.

Unfortunately, their network was jammed for porting, so we were unable to leave with our phones.  I'm switching from Verizon to Sprint, a process which will take 1-4 hours, but they could not even start that process yet.  

I'm heading back to the store shortly, at which time the port process should have started.  I'll have to wait until my Verizon phone is dead before activating the Pre.

More updates will be coming later.

Update:  Heading back to Sprint now.  Verizon phones are not working so port hopefully is all done.

No comments: